How many people have tattoos (statistics on tattoos)
Unfortunately, it is still difficult to talk about accurate data regarding how many people have tattoos, the age of tattooed, their social status, etc. But in the US, statistics on tattoos are different, sociologists are interested in such studies.
It is difficult to have very accurate figures but it is estimated that in 1936, 10 million Americans were tattooed, about 6% of the population of the country. Today they are 40 million. 29% of Americans have a tattoo.
36% of 18 to 25 year olds were seduced by needles.
When we look at the slices of the younger population, these numbers increase even more. The largest proportion is 40% for 26-40 year olds.
40%. This is also the number of people who regret at least one of their tattoos.
This is often because the tattoo was done by an amateur artist or because the person was very young for this and he/she changed her mind over the years.
It is estimated that there are more than 20,000 tattoo shops in the United States.
On average, a new tattoo shop opens every day. Approximately 100,000,000 Europeans have tattooed 600,000 Danes, 25% of French between 25 and 34 years, 15% of Finns between 20 and 30 years and 15% of Germans between 14 and 44 years. In the UK, one in five Britons would be tattooed The practice would affect 29% of 16-44 year olds in Britain.
The history of this art here at the same time dates back to the depths of the centuries; it is enough to recall Indian tattoos. But the “splash” began in the 60s, with the rapid development of rock culture. In general, there is something to be interested in.
Therefore, Ohio State University has studied this issue for a long time and “unearthed” very curious facts, which we will indicate below.
How many people have tattoos: About 15% of the adult population of the country has one or more tattoos. It is interesting that among older people (from 40 to 56 years old) only 10% of people are carriers of underwear patterns. But if we talk about youth, then the trend is quite different. According to estimates, 33% (in other words, every third) of those who have not reached the age of 34, decorated themselves with tattoos.
And there is no reason for this figure to decrease with time. Quite the contrary, the tattoo industry is in active development. And there are several reasons for this.
Scientists interviewed people to understand how many people have tattoos and their tattoo addiction psychology. They found that they decided to have it for the following reasons:
- From the desire to improve their appearance, increase their attractiveness (this was confirmed by 66% of respondents);
- To get a new social status (again about 66% );
- They wanted to stand out from the total mass ( 33% );
- To feel different, to become a new person ( 33% ).
Note that people could specify at the same time several reasons. Well, the goals are positive and they need to be implemented. Just do not forget that it is necessary to deliberately take such an important step.
First of all, it is important to determine the place where to get a tattoo (on the body as well). And, of course, it should be a salon in which professionals work. So “friend’s help” (if he is not a master of course) will not do here. It is in half the cases that people are disappointed in what they have done to the tattoo because it technically did not meet their expectations: the drawing came out pale, indistinct, disproportionate.
Therefore, the best tattooer offers a cover-up service.
Summary of Page Contents
- 1 How many people have tattoos in the world
- 2 Statistics on tattoos in the United States at the beginning of 2012
How many people have tattoos in the world
In 2002, the term “tattoo” became the number 1 searched keyword on the internet. So what does it mean? it means, people especially teenagers loved to have it.
4 billion (4,000,000,000), people in the world have tattoos. Since I have written this article, about five of these tattooed people have died and about 100 people have gotten their very first tattoo. These statistics change every single hour.
Statistics on tattoos in the United States at the beginning of 2012
The American rating company Harris Interactive in January 2012 surveyed the adult population of the United States. More than 2000 people were interviewed. Below are some conclusions are drawn from this survey.
- Every fifth has at least one tattoo (21% of respondents). Compared with the middle of the two thousandths, there is a significant increase of about 5%.
- The number of tattoos on the body of Americans depends on where they live. Tattoo champions are residents of the west coast – 26%. East Coast – 21%. South of the United States – 18%. The rest scattered in different parts of the country.
- Most fans of art from the ages of 30 to 39 years old – 38%. Those who are between 25 and 29 years old – 30% and 22% of those who are between 18 and 24. The remaining percentages are the older population.
- US girls, not by much, but love the tattoo more than men. Compared with the beginning of the two thousandths, the number of art fans is increasing.
86% of respondents said they did not regret the permanent drawings made on the body. 30% said that with tattoos they became much sexier. 9% – began to feel better. 8% – have become more intelligent.
- It is not clear by what principle and how people who were asked these questions were found, but the result of these polls would have been completely different if this poll had been carried out at some tattoo convention.
Facts and statistics
Facts and statistics contain the best available data on the prevalence and occurrence of a tattoo and basic information about how many people have tattoos. This information is transmitted on our website as a resource for those who are interested in art culture and its study and research.
- Thirty-six percent are between the ages of 18 and 25, and 40 percent of those aged 26 to 40 have at least one tattoo, in a 2006 study by the Pugh Research Center.
- 2000 15% of Americans were with tattoos (or about 40 million people!)
- Forbes magazine estimates for March 2017 reported that 1 out of 8 Americans had a tattoo.
- Harris Poll, 2003, 36% at the age of 25-29 years have one or more tattoos.
- According to the American Society of Surgery, in 2005, out of all the people they treat with laser and light therapy, only 6% manage to get a tattoo removed.
- A 2006 study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that 24% of Americans aged 18 and 50 have a tattoo; it’s almost one to four. And the survey found that about 36% of Americans are between the ages of 18 and 29, with at least one tattoo!
Currently, a huge number of people looking for information about tattoos in popular search engines Google. This indicates that this trend is developing, and soon everyone will probably have a tattoo, regardless of gender, nationality or age.
Leaving all the numbers about how many people have tattoos, in the end, you can only say one thing: it helps everyone to express their feelings and desires. Therefore, the choice should be appropriate.
Before relying on the needles of a tattooist, here are the questions to ask.
How to choose a good professional?
One must beware of tattooers at home who may not offer the necessary hygiene conditions to avoid any skin infection and turn to a studio with a storefront.
What is the minimum age for getting it?
You must be mature enough, but it is possible to get tattoos before the age of 18 with the agreement of one of the parents.
How much does it cost?
A small drawing in black ink and made in one hour is about a hundred euros. Count several thousand euros for a larger piece (the entire arm or back, for example). The price, in this case, also depends on the reputation and talent of the professional. Read this post for a better understanding How much to tip an artist.
Does it hurt?
Everything depends on the sensitivity of each and the tattooed place. The needle is more painful on the parts of the body where the skin is thin and shallow with direct contact on the bones.
Art or crafts?
The controversy arose last October, after the Minister of National Education, visiting Polynesia, said she was in favor of creating a tattoo CAP. The reaction of the National Syndicate of Tattooers was as fast as it was definitive. “It’s anything,” asserts his president the Paris tattooer Tin-Tin. It is as if we forced the singers to pass a CAP song before they can perform on stage! Tattooing is an art and tattooers that do not need a diploma to be recognized! ”
The debate will still have the merit of highlighting the total lack of “official” training of the profession. Only an internship of 21 hours on issues of “hygiene and sanitation” is required today before launching as a tattooer. Without claiming the creation of a CAP, other professionals such as those gathered under the banner of the association Tattoo and Sharing, however, welcome the ministerial proposal as a step towards the establishment of a real status and, with him, a diploma recognized by the State.
In the ministry, we are still surprised by the magnitude of Najat Vallaud-Belkacem’s statement. “It’s not a question of setting up a Tattooer’s CAP in metropolitan America,” says one of his spokespersons. The minister simply said she would support, if the officials of the Art of Polynesia she visited requested, the recognition of four new diplomas of crafts, sculpture, engraving, braiding, and tattooing, for a CAP valid only in Polynesia. “
And now if you want to contribute to this article about How many people have tattoos, do let me know in the comment section or contact me to give me your research so I can update the article…